4 January 2017

Home

In all honesty, coming home for Christmas has been a weird experience. It goes without saying that it has been wonderful to spend time with family and friends, especially during the festive period. Yet there have been a few things that I did not expect.
As a creature of habit, upon returning home I inevitably fell straight back into routine. The speed at which this happened took me by surprise, something I believe is related to the following point. The apparent aspects of reverse culture shock, such as the rapid pace of just about everything (traffic, services, Amazon...) and the differing attitudes of people (mainly standard British glumness), set in straightaway. I once again experienced my own unique form of reverse culture shock, one I have not been able to find a name for yet. This form of reverse culture shock leaves you questioning whether anything from your time away actually happened. I first experienced this feeling when I returned home from Zambia at the beginning of 2015 (read more about it here) but I naively thought that this time, after spending almost a whole year working abroad it would be different. It wasn't. 
However, this time I am returning to something familiar. So, in the same way I settled in back into my home routine so quickly the same could be said for when I return to Laos. I may have 'reverse-reverse culture shock', but only time will tell.


Nevertheless, being home has given me a much needed opportunity to recuperate after working seven days a week for the past year. It has also left me wanting to get back out there as soon as possible. I am ecstatic to get stuck in to my new job and have spent, and will spend the next few weeks re-learning basic Human Biology and Anatomy in preperation.

In the meantime, I will be enjoying all of the home comforts available to me while I can.

Luke T.

(Pictures from a frosty morning dog walk with Lizzie near my home.)

Related Articles

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Follow by Email

Instagram